Paleo diet is a buzz in the net not only a few years ago , but also nowadays. Many diets have come and gone but paleo remains at the top. Easy! Healthy and most of all very SUITABLE for all people.
If you have ever heard of PALEO DIET and wonder what that is, look nowhere else.
I am here with every cell of my body to help you get everything you need to know about.
I promise by the end of that last word, you will already be equipped with everything you need to know about paleo diet to start it asap.
But before we dive in, i made a little navigational menu to make things smooth and super easy for you to get the most out of this article.
What Is Paleo Diet To Begin With?
This is a dietary plan that is derived from foods that are similar to what people used to eat during the Paleolithic period. This is the period in the man history, which dates to approximately 10000 years ago.
This diet basically consists of foods that man could simply acquire through hunting and gathering. They include seeds and nuts, lean meat, vegetables, fish and fruits. The diet limits the consumption that emerged with the introduction of farming like legumes, dairy products and grains.
The paleo diet is also known as the hunter-gatherer diet. The belief behind adoption of the paleo diet food plans is that the human body is supposed to be fed with foods that were eaten by the early man. Paleo diet also aims at taking back human beings to feed on what the early man ate, arguing that eating farm foods is a major contributing factor to heart diseases, diabetes and obesity. Paleo diet encourages foods that are ketogenic. These are believed to be healthy foods.
You can read more about paleo diet definition here.
Pros And Cons Of Paleo Diet.
Advantages Of Paleo Diet:
There are many advantages of eating paleo diets some of which are:
Paleo Diet Boosts The Immune System
The chances of a person taking paleo diet being sick are minimal. This is because paleo diets promote a consistent intake of vegetables and fruits which are well known for building a strong immune system for the body. Fruits provide Vitamin C, which helps in fighting skin diseases. Green leafy vegetables are very good at keeping the body from diseases as well.
Apart from fruits and vegetables, unsaturated and saturated fats that are obtained from paleo food are very essential in the synthesis of body cells. The white blood cells are primarily formed to help the body in fighting pathogens, which is a very key part of the body immunity. Consumption of paleo diet helps the body to be in a better position to fight disease and viruses which are a threat to our health.
Paleo Diet Makes You Full
Most people are fond of snacking between meals. This is brought about by hunger which results from eating foods which have low nutrient contents. Paleo diet consists of whole meal foods like seeds and nuts that help one to feel fuller between meals.
The satisfaction that comes with paleo meals is very useful in eliminating cravings and unusual appetite. As a matter of fact, it helps one to get used to the natural hunger, not the one caused by thirst or cravings. Feeling fuller also helps one to eat less frequently and establish a clear feeding program which the body can easily adapt to. Paleo diet is well known as a natural killer of appetite. it regulates feeding habits just to spare the basic.This is particularly good for people who struggle with cravings for junk while they are on a diet plan.
Paleo Diet Helps In Weight Loss
A couple of recent studies show that in a period of 2 years, paleo diet is rated among the most effective in weight loss. This is because they are more like the ketogenic diet which emphasizes on high fat, high protein and low carbohydrate intake.
Most of the paleo diet foods are low in carbohydrates and they discourage overeating which is major cause of obesity. Paleo diets promote weight stability. The continuous burning of fats instead of carbohydrates sets the body in ketosis which exhausts excess fats in the body.
Paleo Diet Reduces Inflammation
Paleo diet is comprised of nutrient-dense foods such as vegetables, nuts and seeds, wild salmon, grass fed beef and free-range eggs. High intake of these foods ensures that the body is sufficiently supplied with omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3 fatty acids are very good at fighting and curing inflammations in the body. Omega 3 also reduces the risk of chronic diseases such as arthritis and heart attack.
Paleo Diet Is A Good Source Of Energy
Paleo diets consists of foods that have a low glycemic index, which causes the body sugars to be absorbed slowly in the body system. This ensures that one doesn’t experience energy lags as it is the case with refined foods. Foods like nuts and seeds like macadamia nuts are known to be good for snacking when one feels like they are running out of energy.
Paleo Diet Increases Insulin Sensitivity And Glucose Tolerance/
Paleo diet is very effective in controlling blood sugar levels in diabetics. In most cases when one starts a paleo diet plan, they are likely to drop medications one year down the line. Paleo diets also prevent insulin resistance.
Disadvantages Of Paleo Diet:
- Adapting and maintaining a paleo diet lifestyle is expensive. Today, eating whole foods according to what paleo advocates for may not be affordable to everyone. This may lock some interested people out of it.
- Paleo diet does not favor vegetarians because it excludes foods like beans which is a major source of protein for them.
- For people like athletes, vegetables and fruits may not be a sufficient source of carbohydrates since they need approximately 3-6 per pound daily.
The Science Behind Paleo Diet:
There are many studies which have researched and came up with explanations about the science behind the paleo diet and why it works.
A study by a top researcher in evolutionary medicine in the state university, Dr. Loren Cordain has come up with the following facts:
- “Evidence based DNA suggests that humans have changed less than 0.02% in 40,000 years” This shows that the modern man can and is still supposed to be feeding on what the hunters and gatherers ate.
- “Nature built a blueprint of the optimum human diet before civilization developed and farming became part of human culture”. This blueprint can be explained in terms of a pyramid that has four levels.
The base of the paleo pyramid explains the protein foods which include eggs, fowl, fish and beef.
Level two of this pyramid consists of low-starch fruits and vegetables.
Level three contains natural fats and oils which can be obtained from nuts, seeds, butter and ghee.
The top of the paleo pyramid consists of snacks that are paleo friendly. These are made from fruits, coconut flour and nuts.
All these foods are not only ketogenic but present low risks of any lifestyle diseases. The foods that are included in this study can be obtained without any much processing needed also. This is enough evidence to show that paleo diet is the way to go.
Another study was conducted by Rainer J Klement and Ulrike Ksmmer in October 2011 covering the benefits and cancer prevention with the paleo diet brought forward the following:
- “Cancer is very rare among uncivilized hunter-gatherer societies”
- “The shift from the Paleolithic diet occurred too swiftly to allow major adoptions in the encoding of our genes and metabolic mechanisms to allow them to learn how to handle processed foods and grains.”
In the hunter-gatherer diet, intake of carbohydrates is not just restricted to high sugar and glucose foods but also to grains. This is because grains induce inflammation since they contain gluten, omega 6 fatty acids and lectin.
Here is more about pros and cons of paleo diet.
Top 5 Best Paleo Diet Recipes:
Beef and broccoli (slow cooked).
- · 1 cup of broccoli florets.
- · 1 apple, sliced thinly.
- · 200g beef stock.
- · 1lb. boneless roast chuck.
- · 100g raw honey
- · 50g tapioca starch
- · 100g coconut aminos.
- · 1 clove of garlic minced.
- · Mix beef stock, sliced apple, honey, coconut aminos and garlic in a slow cooker.
- · Add the boneless roast chuck and cook for 4-5 hours under low heat.
- · Add tapioca starch into the mixture and stir well.
- · Add broccoli and cook for half an hour.
- · Transfer and serve as desired.
- · Sliced bananas.
- · Honey.
- · 3 Grapefruits.
- · Ground ginger/cinnamon.
- · Prepare the oven broiler.
- · Cut the grapefruits into halves and place them on a baking sheet.
- · Place the sliced bananas on top of each grapefruit, drizzle some honey then sprinkle with cinnamon.
- · Place the grapefruits under the broiler until brown. This can take 5-6 minutes.
- · Transfer and serve as desired.
Eggs With Cauliflower Hash:
- · 2 cloves of garlic.
- · 1 tbsp butter/ghee.
- · 1 head cauliflower florets.
- · Cooked eggs.
- · 200g chicken stock
- · A pinch of salt.
- · 1 tbsp smoked paprika.
- · 1 diced onion.
- · 1 tbsp ground coriander.
- · Add the ghee in a frying pan and sauté the onion and garlic until soft. Stir to coat the onion in the spices and add cauliflower.
- · Add the chicken stock into the mixture and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the parsley and season.
- Transfer into a serving dish.
- Serve the cauliflower hash and top it up with the cooked egg.
Maple Crusted Salmon:
- · 250mls pure maple syrup.
- · 2 salmon fillets.
- · 200g finely chopped walnuts.
- · 2 tbsp smoked paprika.
- · Ground black pepper.
- · 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar.
- · Salt to taste.
- · 1 tbsp coconut aminos.
- · Preheat the oven.
- · Mix the maple syrup, paprika, apple cider vinegar, chipotle powder, walnuts, coconut aminos and add some salt and pepper in a bowl.
- · Put each salmon fillet in a baking dish then top with the mixture.
- · Bake and cook for around 8-10 minute, until the salmon is ready.
- · Transfer and serve as desired.
- Watermelon and mint salad.
- · 1 tbsp lime zest
- · 1 watermelon
- · 200g minced mint.
- · 2 tbsp lime juice.
- · 2tbsp olive oil.
- · Use a watermelon baller to scoop the watermelon and shape into round balls or cubes.
- · Whisk the lime zest, mint, olive oil and lime juice together in a bowl.
- · Pour this mixture on the watermelon until it’s well coated.
- · Refrigerate then serve appropriately.
Check out more paleo diet recipes here.
Will You Lose Weight With Paleo Diet?
Although paleo is not a weight loss diet, it is a prime goal for most paleo dieters to lose weight. Paleo diet aims at promoting healthy living in the long term. Since it is more like ketosis to some extent, weight loss is inevitable especially for newbies. In the first week, weight loss is rapid due to a lot of water weight.
This however slows down as time goes by and weight lows almost comes to a stop. This paves the way for the stable weight loss of about 1 to 2 pounds per week. It is important to note that weight loss may be marred with fluctuations at times, which may frighten someone but at the end the weight loss scale should always point downwards.
Some factors which may cause this instability include: hormonal fluctuations, salt intake, bowel movements, clothes or even food in the stomach. Knowing this will help you break free from the stress that one can get from having gain 100g magically.
How Much Does Paleo Diet Cost?
The views about paleo diet costs are divergent but to some extent paleo diet helps in saving, because one goes to the restaurant less times and one eats less times.
On the other hand, whole foods/ natural foods are more expensive in the stalls compared to processed foods. This makes their demand higher while the supply is low. For this reason, they are a bit expensive and may not be the best choice for people who are not yet financially endowed.
One may have to spend a minimum of $10 on one meal which is high for survivors.
For extra information about the costs of paleo diet, click here.
Foods Allowed To Eat Going On A Paleo Diet?
- Grass-fed beef,
- Fresh vegetables.
- Naturally occurring oils.
- Fresh fruits.
Foods You Are Not Allowed To Eat?
- Refined sugar.
- Junk foods.
- Overly salted food.
- Refined vegetable oils.
- Processed foods.
7 Day Paleo Diet Plan For Optimum Weight Loss:
Breakfast: a cup of diced papaya served with bacon and boiled egg.
Lunch: grilled salmon, lime and black olive salad.
Dinner: beef stir fry and roasted carrots.
Breakfast: Spinach, scrambled egg served with watermelon.
Lunch: sandwich served with steamed Brussel sprouts.
Dinner: slow cooked beef and broccoli.
Snack: olives, a handful.
Breakfast: watermelon and berry smoothie served with drumsticks and red capsicum.
Lunch: well- cooked prawns served with vegetable salad.
Dinner. Beef steak served with mushroom soup and cauliflower.
Snack: beef jerky.
Breakfast: butternut squash hash and ham.
Lunch: roast chicken on a lettuce leaf and mustard, accompany with mayonnaise.
Dinner: Garlic roasted cod with green beans.
Snack: mustard and carrot sticks.
Breakfast: Bacon served with fried onions and cabbage.
Lunch: pork chili served with roasted potatoes.
Dinner: grilled chicken breasts with zucchini.
Snack: hard-boiled egg.
Breakfast: savory blueberry tortilla.
Lunch: chicken salad wraps.
Dinner: cashew chicken.
Snack: a handful of macadamia nuts.
Breakfast: sweet potato pancakes.
Lunch: twisted tuna salad.
Dinner: paleo lasagne.
Snack: a piece of avocado.
There you have it my friends. Paleo is the key to not only losing weight but also for a whole body of extreme wow!
It is your turn guys. We would like to hear from you in the comment below. What do you guys think about paleo diet? Have you ever tried it out? Let us know and let’s see how we can help you out.